Q: I have a wedding coming up in a month and I want to lose 15 pounds before then. What’s the safest way to quickly lose weight?
A: You can safely lose 3 or more pounds a week at home with a healthy diet and lots of exercise, says weight loss counselor Katherine Tallmadge, RD.
Having a goal in mind is also a great motivator to help you lose the weight. Just be sure to follow a weight loss plan that you can keep up for life, not some fad diet that helps you rapidly lose 15 pounds of water weight.
Remember calories count the most when it comes to losing weight, which means you will want to lower your caloric intake and burn extra calories everyday through exercise.
Monitor your weight loss and adjust your diet and exercise regimen accordingly. Keep in mind, however, that for health reasons you don’t want to fall below roughly 1200 calories consumed in a day. It can be hard to maintain a very low calorie diet and it’s difficult to get all the recommended nutrients if you’re eating less than that.
Also keep in mind, if you’re already extremely lean and follow a workout and diet regimen, it may be harder to lose those 15 lbs in a month’s time. You will have to kick up your exercise regimen a notch or two to see results.
Here’s a few more tips to help you out:
- Eat plenty of low calorie vegetables and other water dense foods that make you feel full, for example, broth-based soup.
- Drink plenty of water so you don’t confuse hunger with thirst. Read these tips for recognizing hunger.
- Remove trigger foods from the house.
- Stay busy to prevent eating out of boredom.
- Download our Free low calorie diet plan and learn how to make healthy and lasting changes to your diet.
Here’s the bottom line, your rapid weight loss plan should be almost identical to a healthy long-term weight loss plan. One that is sustainable for the rest of your life.