There’s a reason breakfast is labeled the most important meal of the day.
Unfortunately, it’s also quite possibly the most overlooked meal of the day!
It’s easy to skip breakfast because you don’t have time to make it, you’re just not hungry or you’re trying to cut calories. But, eating a healthy breakfast has many benefits that lay the foundation for lifelong health.
Why should I eat a healthy breakfast?
Enjoying a healthy breakfast in the morning is a great way to jumpstart your metabolism after fasting during your sleep period. Eating breakfast can also have many other added benefits for adults and children alike. According to the Mayo Clinic adults that eat breakfast are more likely to:
- Control their weight
- Have lower cholesterol
- Eat less fat
- Be more active throughout the morning
- Intake more vitamins and minerals
The American Dietetic Association states that children who eat breakfast daily are more likely to:
- Have better concentration
- Better hand eye coordination
- More alertness
- More physically active
But I don’t have time!
Making a healthy breakfast in the morning doesn’t have to be time consuming. In fact, waking up 5 minutes earlier may be all it takes to jump start your morning with a quick and healthy breakfast.
Don’t have 5 minutes to spare in the morning? Prepare your breakfast the night before and eat it on the go.
Plus, many of the healthy breakfast ideas below take only minutes to prepare and eat! Time is no longer an excuse to skip breakfast.
What exactly is a healthy breakfast?
A healthy breakfast , like any meal, consists of:
- Whole Grains – Such as oatmeal, whole-grain bread, toast and bagels, bran muffins, etc.
- Lean Proteins – Eggs, slices of lean meats, low-fat cottage cheese, peanut butter, etc.
- Fruits And Vegetables – This one’s self explanatory. Any fresh fruits, vegetables or 100% fruit or vegetable juice.
Try to include each of these types of food into your morning breakfast. Together these foods provide a healthy dose of the three macronutrients: complex carbohydrates, lean proteins and a small amount of fat. If you can’t fit them all into your meal that’s fine, just one of these is better than nothing at all.
21 Quick, Healthy Breakfast Ideas And Recipes
- One Banana and one slice of whole-grain toast with peanut butter
- Kay’s Naturals Apple protein Cereal Cinnamon cereal with your choice of fruit cut up in a bowl with low fat or skim milk
- Berry Easy Breakfast
- Oatmeal with fruit such as cut up strawberries or blueberries
- Whole-grain tortilla with peanut butter and sliced strawberries on it rolled up
- Peanut Butter Wafflewich
- Whole-grain pita filled with scrambled eggs and low-fat shredded mozzarella cheese
- Multi-grain pancakes with cut up fruit on top
- Stuffed French Toast
- Low-fat yogurt with all natural granola
- Cottage cheese and fruit of your choice
- Easy Stacked Breakfast Sandwich
- Fresh fruit salad and whole-grain toast – prepare the fruit salad the night before.
- Scrambled eggs with cut up peppers, onions and low fat shredded mozzarella cheese
- Apple Wheat Pancakes
- Kashi Golean Oatmeal with a tablespoon of peanut butter mixed in
- Whole-grain muffin with strawberry preserves
- Cinnamon Swirl Smoothie
- General Mills Fiber One cereal, cut up banana and skim milk in a bowl
- Peanut butter whole-grain toast and an apple
- Georgia Peach Smoothie