You don’t need to go on a crash diet or take extreme measures to cut 500 calories out of your daily diet. It’s actually a lot easier than you might think. By making a few simple lifestyle adjustments you can slash your caloric intake while still enjoying all the foods you love.
But what kind of results can you expect from cutting out 500 calories a day? In short, your average person will lose about a pound a week. You could even double that amount by implementing a couple of the following techniques together.
So, apply a few of these techniques to your daily regimen and start losing weight today!
- Portion Your Snacks. Instead of grabbing the whole bag of chips and mindlessly eating half of it while watching M*A*S*H reruns, pour 1 serving into a bowl or plate and put the bag back into the cupboard. Half a bag of chips contains roughly 650 calories, while that one serving has a measly 150 calories.
- Don’t Drown The Salad. Salads can be very healthy, but can also add to the waist line when they are drowned in high calorie extras like bacon bits, cheese, heavy dressings, etc. Easily cut out 500 calories by topping your salad with cut veggies and lightly apply dressing or lemon juice for extra flavor without the added calories.
- Smaller Utensils = Less calories. Just by switching your 12 inch plate to a 10 inch plate you could eat 22% less calories research shows. If you did that for every meal of the day you could save around 500 calories!
- Food Swaps. By swapping 1 cup of Heavy cream ( some as many as 800 calories!) with 1 cup of plain fat-free yogurt (137 calories) in your recipes you will easily cut out over 600 calories. For more food swap ideas here’s 13 Easy Baking Substitutes.
- Subscribe To Our Newsletter. A study from Kaiser Permanente found that those who subscribed to weekly e-mails about diet and nutrition increased their levels of physical activity and intake of healthy foods. So now would be a good time to subscribe to our weekly diet and nutrition tips newsletter! (You can unsubscribe at anytime and it’s 100% FREE!)
- Portion Control Your Meals. One cup of pasta, for example, is roughly 200 calories, however the portion you receive at a restaurant can be 5 times that. Try ordering the kids version or eat half and take half home.
- More Isn’t Always Merrier. According to Brian Wansink, Ph.D., author of Mindless Eating, having seven or more dinner guests can make you eat 96% more food. Theoretically, if you were to sit down and eat a roughly 1000 calorie dinner, you could possibly cut 500 calories just by dining with fewer guests.
- Enjoy Ice Cream – In Moderation. You don’t have to give up the foods you love to lose weight, however, it’s important to enjoy these foods in moderation. You can even enjoy the full flavor ice cream (not the sugar free stuff), but make sure you keep the portion size small. You can save 500 calories just by choosing the 4oz size over the 12oz.
- Thin Pizza For A Thin Waist Line. You can easily save 500 calories just by choosing the right pizza. By eating 3 slices of thin crust veggie lovers from Pizza hut you will save almost 500 calories compared to eating 3 slices of pan crust meat lovers.
- Eat Slowly. According to a study at the University of Rhode Island researchers found that eating slowly can reduce around 70 calories per meal. If you do this for all your meals and snacks in a day it can really add up. Chew your food slowly, put your fork down between bites and/or enjoy conversation while you eat to slow things down.