Hunger strikes at unexpected times and if you’re not prepared you may find yourself snacking on a lot more calories than you intended! These high calorie snacks make it hard to lose or even control your weight.
Luckily, there’s an easy solution to this problem – go ahead and snack when hunger strikes, but reach for snacks that are 100 calories or less.
Of course, there’s a little more to it than that.
It’s important to understand that not all snacks are created equal. Chips, cookies and other highly processed foods will just leave you feeling hungry again soon after, so it’s important that your snack contains a bit of protein, fiber and fat. These will suppress your appetite and make it so your less hungry when it’s time for your next meal.
Healthy 100 Calorie Snacks
- Half apple with 2 teaspoons of peanut butter
- 10 cashew nuts
- 10 almonds
- 2 ounces of sliced turkey
- 1 multi-grain waffle sprinkled with cinnamon
- Mixed raw veggies with 1/4 cup fat-free ranch dressing
- 3 hard-boiled egg whites (sprinkled with pepper) and .5 cup skim milk
- 1 packet plain oatmeal with 3 cut-up strawberries mixed in
- 1/3 cup of unsweetened applesauce with 1 slice of whole-wheat toast
- 1/2 cup frozen orange juice
- 3 ounces low-fat cottage cheese and 3 whole-wheat crackers
- 3 handfuls of unbuttered popcorn (sprinkle on some pepper or other herbs for taste)
- 4-6 ounces of fat-free or low-fat yogurt
- 2oz lean ground beef with .5 cup spinach and tablespoon salsa
- 1 string cheese
Let’s be realistic though, sometimes you’re craving something sweet and a piece fruit just isn’t going to cut it. It’s during these cravings that it’s good to have snacks like cookies, etc portioned out into smaller bags. These smaller portions will help stop you from grabbing a large bag of cookies and eating the entire thing (I’m sure a lot of us have been there)!
Nabsico 100 Calorie Packs have convenient pre-packaged portions of cookies, chips and other snacks. You can also save a little money and portion out your favorite snacks into smaller, 100 calorie bags for a quick snack at home or on the go. Just remember to keep these snacks to a minimum for health reasons. Check out this post on portion control tips for more easy ideas on how to cut back on calories.
What are your favorite 100 calorie or less snacks?