One important step to leading a healthy lifestyle is to make sure the majority of your snacks are healthy.
Makes sense right?
But, if most of your snacks come out of the vending machine at work or from fast food restaurants it makes it extremely difficult to adopt a healthy lifestyle.
That’s where it pays off to do a little planning. Instead of waiting till hunger strikes while at work, prepare some healthy snacks ahead of time and keep them on hand to help avoid the vending machines and drive-thru’s.
So, what exactly makes a healthy snack?
The 3 Rules To A Healthy Snack
- Snack on foods that satisfy hunger! For example, nutritious snacks that contain protein and fiber, which fill you up and keep you feeling full. Stay away from processed foods as they provide little to no nutrition and you’ll be hungry again shortly thereafter.
- Keep the calories around 150 or less. Remember, this is a snack and not a meal.
- Focus on natural foods. For example, fruits and veggies, whole grains, nuts/seeds and low fat dairy products all make good snack choices
Now that we understand what makes a healthy snack, lets take a look at some healthy snack ideas for work. Here are 15 suggestions with 150 calories or less!
Healthy Snacks For Work
- 8 oz. of Fage Total Greek Yogurt
- 1 cup sliced fresh bananas and raspberries
- 1 packet of McCann’s Instant Irish Oatmeal
- 2 cups of carrots
- 10 oz. of organic goji berries
- Celery with 1.4 oz of hummus
- 1 oz. of Kopali Organics trail mix
- 5 rye flavored melba toast crackers
- 1 bag of 100 Calorie Orville Redenbacher’s Smart Pop
- 2 tablespoons of peanuts
- 1 Vitalicious Apple Berry Vita Top
- 2 small slices of low-fat Colby or cheddar cheese
- 1 Yoplait Yogurt Strawberry Light (or other flavor)
- 1 fat-free chocolate pudding cup
- Almond 100 Calorie Packs
Of course, these 15 snack ideas are just that – ideas! Feel free to come up with your own healthy snacks based around your tastes and favorite foods. Just be sure to follow the 3 rules of healthy snacking and you’ll find it easy to ditch those vending machines and fast food!
What are some of your favorite healthy snacks for work? Let us know in the comments below.