Q: My kids will only eat sugary cereals and absolutely refuse to eat any healthy cereal because they say it tastes like styrofoam. And I can’t say that I’ve ever had any so-called “healthy” cereals that I could eat on a regular basis. Can you recommend any that taste good?
A: Absolutely. Some of the best tasting cereals I’ve ever had could be considered “healthy”. A few of my favorites are:
- Kay’s Naturals Apple Cinnamon Protein Cereal
- Nature’s Path organic Pumpkin Granola
- Enjoy Life Very Berry Granola
Tips For Choosing Healthy Cereals That Taste Good
- Amount of sugar – What separates healthy cereals from all the others is most often the amount of sugar. Keep the amount of sugar per serving as low as possible (preferably under 10 grams).
- Fill up on fiber – Fiber has many health benefits, but it also helps keep you feeling full for hours, so you’re not left starving before lunch time hits.
- Protein packed – What fills you up and keeps you feeling fuller longer than fiber? If you guessed protein, you’re right! You should aim to get a good portion of this fat burning macronutrient at every meal!
- Ingredients – Ultimately, what makes any food healthy or not comes down to what’s in it. If the ingredient list reads like a novel and you can’t pronounce half of them, you may want to look for something else. If the first ingredient in the list is a type of whole grain or protein then you’re off to a good start.